Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 1

Day 1 of New York

Ugh…. I woke up at 4 am this morning to meet my fellow Model UN delegates at Kinard to drive to Memphis airport. While I was obviously tired, my roommate decided to pull an all-nighter, believing that we would have an 8-hour flight to New York. This is his first time flying. We made to New York with little incidents; however, the delirium of sleep deprivation was starting to affect us. It seemed as though everything was the funniest thing ever. We arrived at the hotel about 4 hours before our check in time, which I though was awesome. We were able to wander around Times Square for a while before heading in to our first session. My group made its way to H&M, for some cheap stylish clothing. After window-shopping for a little bit (I should have brought more money). We began our first session of Model UN. Sean and I were in GA1, where we would end up discussing disarmament of weapon stockpiles. The first half of session was rather uneventful; all we did was call role for the 171 delegates there. However, once the first caucus was called; it was on. I have never seen such a frantic rush to meet up with fellow countries, and such schmoozing of the world powers (there was a line to talk to the United States). As Guinea, we had to do a lot of networking to get our opinions out, and meet up with more influential countries. We were pushing for topic 3, which was much more African-based. But, in the end, the committee voted to discuss Topic 1 first. So we will see what is in store for Guinea tomorrow.

-Sam Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment