Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Symmetry

I'm a big fan of symmetry. I like symmetrical houses, I like books on a bookshelf arranged symmetrically.  Maybe I'm a little obsessive-compulsive but I hear that humans find things that are symmetrical more beautiful.

This year at Model UN I've found a nice symmetry in my life.  Four years ago, I came to my first national Model UN conference, the National High School Model United Nations.  Back then I was representing a small West African nation (Liberia) and I was so excited to be celebrating the end high school with a trip to New York.  This year, I'm once again representing a small West African nation (Guinea) and I get to bring my college years to an end with another trip to New York.  I would say I'm celebrating but let's be honest, between finishing my thesis and doing other school work while I'm here, I'm hardly in a celebratory mood.

Model UN has been one of the most rewarding experiences throughout my high school and college years.  It's exposed me to a lot of new issues and countries that otherwise I never would have been interested in.  Probably the best part has been being in charge for the past three years because I've been forced to think and re-think and re-re-think about how to best teach Model UN skills to newcomers.  I really like the teaching aspect of Model UN because I get to share all of the great things I've learned over the years.

Today will be day two, and there is a lot of work ahead.  I don't know how, but I've managed to get Leanna and I into two groups of delegates who are very into meeting after committee sessions. Hopefully they will respect my early bedtime tonight and not keep us writing late into the night....Regardless,  I'll be enjoying the culmination of a lot of years' preparations and the electric atmosphere that only be created by 150 international politics nerds in one room.
-Rachel Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment