Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Thursday

Thursday was our longest day! We began at 9:30 in the morning and ended our last session at 10:30. We got so much accomplished!! During the first session, several people got put on the speakers' list and advocated for their working papers. Maddie and I sat in with the African bloc, and co-sponsored (co-authored) a paper emphasizing education, infrastructure and roadways to rural areas, mobile health clinics, and Emergency kits for expecting mothers to prevent mother to child transmission of HIV/AIDS. During the lunch break, I ate with members of the countries I worked with at Junior's Bar across the street from the hotel and had one of the most delicious burgers I've ever eaten in my life! Lunch was a very special time for us. We got to get "out of character" and really get to know one another. We had come from all over the world. It was so wonderful to hear everyone's story.

When we got back, we completed our draft and made the corrections. The Dias accepted the working paper and it became a Draft Resolution. To make a long story short, six papers in all were written. The paper Guinea (Maddie and myself) co-sponsored was the first one to pass into a Resolution, and was the only one that passed with no abstains or refusals. Everyone voted yes to our paper!!!! Later, I was told it won an award and was selected to be presented to the United Nations.

Later that night, I was dog tired. We didn't do much. Kurt and I went out for a quick cocktail (much deserved), and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment