Wednesday, April 20, 2011

First Day Notes from the HD

Day two is about to begin on our trip this week, but before it does I needed to get on here and brag on some of our members' day one performances. Many of our members are first-year Model UN-ers, and have a bit of the first-year jitters. Despite this, I was so impressed last night. My job as Head Delegate is to continuously drop in on all our committees and check on people's attendance, activity, and help them with any problems or concerns they may be having. As Guinea, we are members of nine committees this year. Checking on people in nine rooms sounds pretty simple, right? Wrong. I'm pretty sure college students from all over the world think I have absolutely lost my mind. Our committees are spread across four floors of the hotel, with stairs and escalators being the way to get up and down to them all. I find it is most convenient for our delegates if I catch them while their committees are caucusing, rather than in formal session. There is no way of knowing when a committee will caucus, so I basically just have to run around (literally run) and peek in on them until I find one in caucus. As I dashed past another head delegate, who was calmly walking, for the third time, I stopped and asked what her secret was. Apparently most schools have two head delegates.

Anyway, my purpose with this blog was to brag on our people. We ended up first on the Speaker's List in two committees, which is a very big deal (Isaac and Matthew, Corey and Maddie). Corey, one of our first years, was the first to speak in his committee, and he rocked it. I was lucky enough to have started in his committee so I got to witness the awesomeness that was his opening speech. I also got to watch our VP speak in her committee, and it was awesome and professional, which is what you would expect from Rachel J. Kegan and LaBrandon have a great grasp on the power of networking.

As the week continues I will keep blogging about how great everyone is doing. I am so happy and feel a bit like a proud momma! Keep up the awesome work today, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment